Each year, the Affordable Care Act entitles all women to one free well-woman exam. The cost is covered-in-full as a preventative benefit, which means it’s free even if you haven’t met your plan’s deductible.
The goal of the well-woman exam is preventative care — helping you identify and deal with health problems as early as possible.
At Capital Women’s Care Virginia, a typical annual preventive exam incudes:
- Documenting your health habits and reviewing your family history.
- Measuring your height and weight,and sometimes calculating your body mass index (BMI).Checking your blood pressure and temperature.
- Performing a breast exam.
- Performing a pelvic exam and Pap smear.
- Helping you set health goals.
Finally, you and our physician or provider will have the opportunity to talk about the next steps for helping you stay healthy. This may involve education and conversation around making informed health decisions about your diet, medication, exercise, stress management, and more. Together, you can also review and decide which screenings or follow-up services might be right for you.